Cove Bay Water System Local Advisory Committee
Purpose of the Committee
The Cove Bay Water System Local Advisory Committee has advisory powers to Council regarding water system issues, and also reviews the operating and capital budgets for the utility.
- Nick Page, Chair
- Ron Cliff
- Georgina Farah
- Jae Mather
- Russell Porter
- Mayor Skeels, Council Liaison
To contact the Cove Bay Water System LAC please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to receive updates about the Cove Bay Water System.
Cove Bay Water Treatment Plant
In 1997 Bowen Island Municipality identified the need to implement improved water treatment on the Grafton Lake water supply servicing Cove Bay Water District. A preliminary water treatment plant study was completed in 2003 which concluded that additional water quality monitoring information was required in order to select the appropriate treatment technology necessary to achieve the 4-3-2-1-0 water treatment requirements stipulated by the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.
The Cove Bay Water System Long Range Plan Update was created in 2009, and in July 2010 and July 2011 the water monitoring program was completed. The Cove Bay Water Conservation Plan was created in 2011 to develop and implement a strategy to ensure the water system met the demand exerted by the expected growth of the service area while minimizing the impact on and ensuring the long term health of the supporting ecosystems. In January 2012 the Water Treatment Plant Affordability Study was issued in draft form which recommended the following:
1. Construction of a dissolved air flotation plant complete with chlorination and UV disinfection.
2. Selection of a preferred site based on two potential locations.
3. Implementation of a secondary treatment system to reduce the volume of sludge water discharged to the sanitary system.
4. Development of a financial plan to pay for the cost of a $7.2million Capital Expenditure (2011 dollars).
Between 2012 and 2014 the community gathered information and conducted internal reviews of the two potential sites for the treatment plant leading to a Council Resolution #14-254 which identifies the “Library Lot” as the preferred location for construction of the plant, located on the north side of Grafton Road across from Artisan Lane. Council has indicated a willingness to consider an alternate location should one be made available.
In January 2015 Opus Dayton Knight Consultants Ltd. provided a Cove Bay Water Treatment Plant Implementation Plan as per the Vancouver Coastal Health Condition Letter dated June 6, 2014.
For information on the the quality and colour of Cove Bay water, click here: Cove Bay Water.
- Bylaw No. 19, 2000 - Reserve Fund Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 62, 2002 - User Rates Amendment Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 72, 2002 - Reserve Fund Appropriation Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 92, 2003 - Water System Rates Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 148, 2005 - Water System Rates Amendment Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 246, 2009 - Water System Rates Amendment Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 251, 2009 - Cove Bay Water System Local Management Committee Purpose and Establishment Amendment Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 259, 2009 - BIM Water System Specified Areas and Local Area Services Operation and Administration Bylaw
- Bylaw No. 319, 2012 - Water System Rates Amendment Bylaw
- 2015 Annual Report
Last Updated on 2018-04-18 at 10:13 AM