ALERT: Significant snowfall expected
Significant snowfall is occuring and expected to continue on Bowen Island. Crews are plowing and salting roads in the following order of priority:
-Main roads and bus routes
-Secondary roads, once the snow fall has stopped
-Third-priority roads, after the snow fall has stopped and all other main and secondary roads are passable
Please make room for plows. Vehicles parked on narrow roadsides make it difficult or impossible for plows to get through. There are many dead-end roads on Bowen. If a plow is unable to turn around at the end of a road, it can't clear the road.
Property owners are responsible for making sure the sidewalks next to their property are kept clear of snow and ice, to ensure the safe passage of pedestrians.
A recent health study found that Bowen Islanders rate themselves as considerably healthier than Vancouver residents rated themselves. However, they enjoy fewer local healthcare services per capita. An initiative to build a Community Health Centre is under way, in early stages.
- Two family practitioners serve local patients, with varying schedules. (A family practice clinic in Horseshoe Bay is a nearby option.)
- Other primary services are provided on the mainland through the Vancouver Coastal Health Region.
- A dentist visits the Island on Fridays, and also sees Bowen patients in Horseshoe Bay.
- LifeLabs offers twice weekly medical testing.
- Cates Pharmacy in Snug Cove fills prescriptions on island.
- Additional services include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, massage therapists, counsellors, homeopathic care, and other complementary modalities.
- The Caring Circle Health Resource Centre provides free information about access to local and regional health, caregiving and support resources, helping residents navigate the health system and advocating for improved services. Its Health Resource Guide is a comprehensive directory of local and off-island practitioners and support services.
(Content from the Community Profile published in 2016)