ALERT: Significant snowfall expected
Significant snowfall is occuring and expected to continue on Bowen Island. Crews are plowing and salting roads in the following order of priority:
-Main roads and bus routes
-Secondary roads, once the snow fall has stopped
-Third-priority roads, after the snow fall has stopped and all other main and secondary roads are passable
Please make room for plows. Vehicles parked on narrow roadsides make it difficult or impossible for plows to get through. There are many dead-end roads on Bowen. If a plow is unable to turn around at the end of a road, it can't clear the road.
Property owners are responsible for making sure the sidewalks next to their property are kept clear of snow and ice, to ensure the safe passage of pedestrians.
Bowen Island Community School, known as BICS, is part of the West Vancouver School District. BICS provides outstanding learning for children and youth from kindergarten to grade 7.
- Most high school students attend West Vancouver’s Rockridge Secondary School, Sentinel or West Van High. (Students travel free on the ferry.)
- French Immersion at Pauline Johnson in West Vancouver is an option for middle school.
- Island Pacific School, a private day school on Bowen, takes up to 70 grade 6 to 9 students.
- Some elementary and high school students attend private schools in West Vancouver.
- The Island Discovery Learning Community offers programs focused on child-led learning as well as support for full or part-time home-learning families.
- Bowen Island Preschool and Bowen Island Montessori Preschool both offer early childhood learning.
- Bowen Children’s Centre, home to the Preschool, also provides community daycare and runs the “After School Club.”
(Content from the Community Profile published in 2016)