Building & Renovating

In addition to any required development approvals, a Building Permit may be needed to ensure buildings are safe for their intended purpose.  Building policies and bylaws must be followed during the building process.  A number of inspections must be passed before an Occupancy Certificate or Letter of Completion is issued.

Are you planning to start building or renovating?

Check with the Planning Department to make sure you have all the necessary approvals and permits for your proposed development before you start any work.

Starting October 1, 2019, all new construction and substantial renovations on Bowen will need to meet Step One of the BC Energy Step Code.

Building Bylaws & Policies

Building and renovations are regulated by the Building Bylaw.  This bylaw includes regulations for construction, alteration, repair and demolition of buildings and structures.  Development regulations, such as building setbacks and height, are under the Land Use Bylaw.

Additional policies that may be applicable to your building process are the Heron Policy and the Green Building Standards Policy.

Building Permits

You will need a Building Permit (BP) to:

  • Build a new structure or building
  • Demolish, alter or add to a structure
  • Build an accessory building greater than 10 m2 (107 ft2) in area
  • Build a deck more than 600 mm (2ft) above grade
  • Install a swimming pool
  • Build a retaining wall 1.5m (5ft) or higher
  • Install or alter plumbing or electrical systems

Day-to-day repairs and maintenance, and renovations that do not involve structural alterations do not require a Building Permit.

A Building Permit may expire if work is not started within 12 months from the date it was issued, or if work has stopped for 12 months or more.

Apply for a Building Permit

Building Inspections

Before starting any building work, discuss your project with the Building Inspector and identify the inspections that will be needed.  It is the responsibility of the property owner or their agent to schedule the required inspections.

An Occupancy Certificate is issued after completion of new residences and buildings. A Letter of Completion is issued after all other work is done under a building permit.  Deposits will be returned after an Occupancy Certificate or Letter of Completion has been issued.

Upon completing a demolition, the Municipality will notify BC Assessment so that you will not be taxed for the improvement on your next tax bill.

Schedule an inspection

Please contact the Building and Planning Clerk to book your inspection. 

View the Building Inspector's schedule

Last Updated on 2019-08-22 at 2:23 PM