Community Economic Development Committee
Purpose of the Committee:
To facilitate Bowen Island community economic development and provide advice to Council about economic development for Bowen Island.
Buy Local: Click here to read 15 benefits of shopping locally.
- Rod Marsh, Chair
- Ed Wachtman, Vice Chair
- Kim Brooks
- Wolfgang Duntz
- Kiersten Enemark
- Robyn Fenton
- Vaune Kolber
- Maureen Sawasy
- Natasha Vaz
- Councillor Michael Kaile
- Councillor Alison Morse
- Councillor Maureen Nicholson
To contact the Economic Development Committee please email: email@example.com
- April 20, 2018
- March 16, 2018
- February 16, 2018
- January 12, 2018
- December 15, 2017
- November 10, 2017
- October 13, 2017
You may also find agendas, minutes and videos on the Committees webpage.
Sign up for the EDC Newsletter to receive e-mails about business on Bowen. Click HERE to subscribe.
On July 25, 2016, Council directed the EDC to include the development of recommendations for municipal business licensing in its 2017 Work Plan.
On October 18, 2018, EDC members provided a presentation to members of the business community regarding business licensing at the Fall Business Summit and received their feedback.
On November 27, 2017, the EDC presented its Business Licensing Feasibility Report to Council who directed staff to identify next steps and resources required for a business licensing program as a priority under Strategic Pillar F - Robust and Resilient Local Economy - of the 2018 Island Plan. Work on this project is ongoing.
On January 23, 2018 EDC members provided a presentation to members of the business community regarding the implementation of business licensing at Business Summit and received their feedback.
Council asked staff to review the report and return with an analysis of the recommendations, and identified business licensing as a priority in the Island Plan.
In 2018, staff reported back to Council with a detailed analysis of the recommendations, including a proposed business licensing bylaw and a proposed implementation schedule.
The Business Licence Bylaw No. 465, 2018 was adopted on October 9, 2018, and will take effect on January 1, 2019.
A transition period was scheduled in early 2019 while the business licensing program is being set up. Municipal staff will begin accepting applications in January 2019.
During this time, staff will also be developing an online business directory that will be available for the public to find businesses on Bowen Island, and an online platform that will make applying and paying for business licences as simple as possible for businesses.
For the most up-to-date information on business licenses, please go to this link.
On October 1, 2014 the EDC presented their branding initiative to the Committee of the Whole:
On December 15, 2015, the EDC provided the following presentations to the Committee of the Whole:
On January 25, 2016 Chris Staples of Rethink Solutions provided a branding presentation to Council:
On February 15, 2016, the EDC delivered a presentation of their branding research to the Committee of the Whole:
On June 27, 2016 Chris Staples of Rethink Solutions provided a presentation to the Committee of the Whole:
Subsequently, on June 27, 2016, Council adopted the Community Brand.
On November 17, 2016, Chris Staples provided the following presentations to the Economic Development Committee:
Read a brief history of the Bowen Island Branding Initiative.
Public support for the brand story includes:
2016 Building Bowen Island's Local Economy Workshop
(Co-Hosted by BIM EDC and the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training)
On March 31, 2016, in collaboration with the Minstry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, the EDC hosted an all- workshop. Below are links to presentations and notes.
2016 EDC Business Summit
On October 18, 2016 the EDC hosted an open meeting for Bowen businesses. Over 65 business owners were in attendance for a lively evening of discussion, small group exercises and networking. The following topics were presented:
Other information from the 2016 EDC Business Summit includes:
2018 EDC Business Summit
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 the EDC hosted an open meeting for businesses.
Work Plans and Annual Reports
Three surveys were conducted in 2014 and 2015:
- Business Survey (Conducted May 20 - November 18, 2015)
- Visitors Survey (Conducted June 15-September 15, 2014)
- Residents Survey (Conducted October 1 - November 2, 2015)
Three Local Business Summits and Workshops were held in 2016 and 2018 (see Events tab above)
The EDC holds regular Business Breakfasts with various sectors of the Bowen Island business community including:
- Food Businesses (April 11, 2018): Notes
- Retail Businesses (June 27, 2018): Notes
- Trades (October 24, 2018): Notes
Most Economic Development Committee meetings are open to the public and are publicized on the BIM website. Special promotion will occur when a guest speaker has been invited to present or an EDC initiative is going before Council for approval.
EDC members often form subcommittees to work on priority initiatives which are open to members of the community. If you are interested in participating in a subcommittee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Economic Development Committee has been involved in the production of several documents including:
Publications that inform the work of the EDC include:
The EDC often invites guest speakers series to present for the Committee and members of the public. These include:
Lindsay Bisschop, Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training (2016)
Wes Regan, Community Economic Development Planner for the City of Vancouver (December 15, 2017)
Stephen Mikichich, Economic Development Manager, District of West Vancouver (April 20, 2018)
Councillor Silas White, Town of Gibsons (May 11, 2018)
Zarah Gale, Community Futures Sunshine Coast (June 8, 2018)
Reference: Bowen Island
The following is a list of resources specific to Bowen Island.
- Economic Development Referral Policy
- Bowen Island Residents Perception on Tourism, Chamber of Commerce , 2008
- Commerce on Bowen Island (2003)
- Economic Impact Assessment for the Potential for a National Park on Bowen Island (2011)
- The Population of Bowen Island 1981-2001
- This Commuter Island (2005)
- Bowen Island Tourism Plan (Draft) (2013)
- Presentation to EDAC, dated April 23, 2013 by Adam Holbrook, Chair, BIM Transportation Committee
- Economic Development Workshop and Focus Group Report, dated September, 2013
- Economic Development Committee submission to BC Coastal Ferries Engagement Process, sent Dec. 20, 2013
- Video of Bowen island from Vancouver's North Shore Tourism Association
- 2015 Bowen Island Visitor Centre Report
- Trade and Invest British Columbia: Bowen Island Profile
- 2017 - 2018 Tourism Report
The following is a list of general resources regarding economic development.
- What is Community Economic Development? Lindsay Bisschop (2017)
- Characteristics of Commercial Nature Based Tourism Industry in British Columbia, January (2005)
- Economic and Social Benefits of Arts, Culture and Heritage in Red Deer, Alberta dated June 14, 2004
- Tourism BC, Vancouver Coast and Mountains Region Presentation by Shawna Leung, dated April 2, 2013
- Economic Benefits of a Walkable and Bike Friendly Community
- The Future Business Environment of the Sunshine Coast, 2011-2021 - prepared by the Central 1 Credit Union, Economics Department , dated Spring 2011
- Port of Skagit Economic Impacts Draft Results, September 9, 2014
- Evaluating The Economic Development Role of BC Local Governments, April 2010
- Bowen Island Census Profile (2006, 2011)
- Squamish Branding, Development & Marketing Action Plan, September 2014
- Economic Benefits of Heritage Preservation, Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Cultural and Sport
- Dynamic Downtowns Workbook: Using Heritage to Build Strong, Vibrant Downtowns
- Business Retention and Expansion Guidebook (2005)
- The Role of Local Elected Officials in Economic Development
Last Updated on 2019-05-06 at 3:14 PM