Climate Action Program
Go to Climate Conversations
Bowen Island declares Climate Emergency
Research by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change recommends emission reductions of 45% from 2010 levels by 2030, and 100% by 2050 in order to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
Metro Vancouver has set emission reduction targets of 45% from 2010 levels by 2030, and 100% by 2050 in order to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, and is developing strategies to achieve the targets.
The Islands Trust has declared a Climate Emergency for the Islands Trust Area and has directed staff to recommend measures to reduce emissions and adapt to the inevitable changes in the climate.
Bowen Island will face increasingly negative impacts from a changing climate if emissions are not reduced. Council has made a declaration of Climate Emergency:
We recognize that climate change represents an emergency for Bowen Island, and commit to developing a strategy to reduce emissions in alignment with the targets to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
The draft Bowen Island 2050 Climate Change Strategy has been referred to municipal staff and the Transportation Advisory Committee, Community Economic Development Committee, Advisory Planning Commission, Finance Advisory Committee, and the Parks, Trails and Greenways Advisory Committee.
Climate Action Program
Bowen Island Municipality has resumed its work to develop and initiate a Climate Action Program that addresses:
- Reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Community energy planning
- Corporate carbon neutrality
- Feasibility of an on-island composting facility
- Mitigation of and adaptation to water shortages
- Transportation alternatives
- Support for community-based initiatives related to climate action
- Other emerging climate-related issues
Bowen Island Community Energy Emissions Plan - Received by Council at its December 12, 2016 meeting.
2017 CEEP Implementation Report - approved by Council at its February 27, 2017 meeting.
Bowen Island Climate Action Revenue Incentive Reports
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2019
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2018
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2017
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2016
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2015
- Climate Action Revenue Incentive Public Report for 2011
These workshops have brought together community members, council, and invited speakers on topics related to climate action. Rough notes and presentations follow:
September 2, 2020 - Climate Conversation: Nature and Ecosystems
Wednesday September 2, 2020, 4 pm to 6 pm.
September 16, 2020 - Climate Conversation: Transportation
Wednesday September 16, 2020, 4 pm to 6 pm
October 6, 2019: Farmland Preservation and Revitalization, co-hosted with Bowen Island Food Sovereignty
September 29, 2019: Climate Emergency and the Future of Food, co-hosted with Bowen Island Food Sovereignty
- Groundwork Executive Summary
- Communication & Engagement Report (22 MB PDF)
- Agrarian Analysis (7.5 MB PDF)
September 7, 2018: Conservation Development
- The Future of Bowen Island (Video)
- Climate 2050 by David Hocking
- Conservation Development by John Reid
- Preserving Bowen Island Forests by John Dowler
June 27, 2016: Heat Pumps (Video)
- BC Climate Action Toolkit
- BC Sustainable Energy Association
- Built Green Canada
- Canada Green Building Council
- Climate Action Leadership (BC Government)
- Climate Change (BC Government)
- Electric Vehicle Rebate Promotion
- Energy Explorer
- Green Home Resource Guide
- Pembina Institute
- Power Smart - BC Hydro
- Provincial Government Resource List
Municipal planning initiatives
- Bowen Island Official Community Plan Update: Towards a Sustainable Future, Consolidated version – December 2014. See Goal 4 (“To minimize Bowen Island’s contribution to global climate change”), Section 2.5 (Climate Change Mitigation), and related objectives and policies throughout.
- Bowen Island 2020 Vision and Sustainability Framework 2008 (received as info)
- Sustainability Framework Working Group Final Report
- Green Building Standards for Residential Rezoning Policy 2007
- Bowen Island Greenhouse Gas Action Plan 2007
- Bowen Island Community Energy Planning Options Report 2003
- Bowen Island Community Energy Use Profile 2002
- Bowen Island Food Resiliency Society - Cosmetic Pesticide Survey Results
- Recycling on the Island
- Waterscape Bowen Island
- Other Supportive Municipal Sustainability Initiatives
Last Updated on 2020-12-10 at 11:00 AM