In 2005, Bowen Island Municipality purchased about 40 acres of land from Metro Vancouver. At the time, these lands were called the “Surplus Lands,” because they were surplus to regional park needs, but they have become known as the “Community Lands,” because they are essential for Bowen Island.
The six parcels or “lots” of the Community Lands are located in or near Snug Cove. Some lots were already developed when we acquired them (Lots 4, 5 and 6), while others have been re-zoned in recent years or are currently in the rezoning process (Lots 1, 2 and 3).
Our Community Lands are a major asset that can continue to serve our community’s needs for many years, so we need to plan wisely for their present and future use.
On June 9, 2018, a workshop on the Future of Our Community Lands was held at Cates Hill Chapel. The workshop was designed by a joint sub-committee of the Advisory Planning Commission and the Mayor's Standing Committee on the Community Lands, and included 53 participants from the community with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
We hope this report will be used in the following ways:
- To share with the broader community the workshop experience
- As a springboard for an updated or new Official Community Plan
- As a tool for use in municipal planning and development
- As a resource for municipal committees
- As a foundation for further work on specific issues, including housing and transportation
Provide your feedback on guiding principles for the Community Lands
Council and staff are working through several overlapping processes to engage the community in creating an overall vision for the Community Lands. We are conducting public information sessions to inform a process for zoning, procuring and operating affordable housing projects. We are working on a land use planning exercise with interested stakeholders to develop ideas for a comprehensive plan for Lot 2. Alongside these initiatives we have introduced zoning amendments to make portions of Lot 1 available for development over the coming years.
Planning for the Community Lands has been ongoing since Bowen Island Municipality incorporated in 1999.
The documents below were compiled in March of 2016 and provide a historical summary of the work completed by various committees and staff to assist Council in making decisions around the use, development and sale of the Community Lands.
The documents below are downloadable in PDF format only.
- 2016 Staff Report re: Community Lands History
- 1996 Report to GVRD Regional Parks
- Guiding Principles for Surplus Land Study
- Proposed Concept GVRD Surplus Lands Study
- 2005 Snug Cove Village Plan
- 2005 Referendum Information
- 2006 Snug Cove Action Plan
- 2007 Surplus Lands Working Group Report
- 2008 Staff Report re: Snug Cove Action Plan Phase 2
- 2008 Staff Report re: Snug Cove Action Plan Master Plan
- 2008 Staff Report re: Snug Cove Action Plan Information Report
- 2008 Staff Report re: Community Lands Amendment to Land Use Bylaw
- 2008 Staff Report re: Land Use Bylaw Amendment - Response from Referral Organizations
- 2012 Snug Cove Planning and Ferry Marshalling History
- 2012 Staff Report re: Information on Servicing Community Lands
- 2013 Strategic Plan - Section on Community Lands
- 2013 Flat Iron Junction Brochure
- 2013 Staff Report re: Community Lands Strategy
- 2014 Temporary Advisory Board Report
- 2014 Staff Report re: Community Lands Lot 2
- 2016 Lot Maps
- 2016 Additional Lot Maps
Last Updated on 2019-08-02 at 1:05 PM