The Bowen Island Fire Department is committed to providing professional and effective services to all residents and visitors of our community. Our mission will be accomplished through training, education and fire prevention in accordance with the BC Fire Service Minimum Training Standards Playbook (Playbook)
Bowen Island Municipality has established the Interior Operations Service Level for the Bowen Island Volunteer Fire Department as set out by the Playbook.
When called upon we will:
- Provide a rapid, professional response to any emergency
- Attempt to minimize loss of life and property from fire or disaster
- Show compassion for those involved
- Be committed to protection of the environment
The Bowen Island Fire Department provides a variety of services and programs including:
- Fire Suppression: responds to incidents involving or potentially involving fire
- Medical Calls, Rescue and Safety: volunteers are trained for medical emergencies. The Fire Department works collaboratively with BC Ambulance Service responders
- Fire Prevention: equipment inspection & maintenance, certification of fire trucks
- Training: enhance the skills, increase the competencies and expand the scope of training for our volunteers through regular weekly practices and additional training opportunities
Approximately 30 volunteers receive education and skills training to establish a team of emergency first responders dedicated to ensure a rapid, professional response to any emergency; minimal loss of life and property from fire or disaster; demonstrated compassion for those involved; and commitment to protection of the environment.
Fire Department Team
Fire Chief: administers, plans, directs and controls all aspects of the Fire Department including the administration, fire suppression, fire prevention and rescue activities. In addition, the Fire Chief abides by and implements applicable local, provincial and federal regulations.
Deputy Fire Chief: provides administrative and technical support to the Fire Chief and liaises with the Fire Hall Facilities Steering Committee on the development of the New Fire Hall and Emergency Operations Centre.
Training Officer: Working together with the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief, the Training Officer is responsible for planning, developing, coordinating and implementing the services and activities of the Fire Department’s training programs. The Training Officer will also coordinate assigned activities with other divisions and outside agencies.
Volunteers: There are approximately 30 volunteer fire fighters.
- Download a PDF of Emergency Contact Info Cards for your Household Emergency Plan
- Volunteer Fire Department Membership Application
- 2012 Bowen Island Fire Rescue Annual Report
- Community Wildfire Protection Plan
- Home Owners Fire Smart Manual
- Managing Fire Risk in the Bowen Island Municipality
- FireSmart Protecting your Community from Wildfire
- Backyard & Industrial Burning - A Guide to Category 2 Open Fires
- Emergency Preparedness Guide for People with Disabilities/Special Needs
- Firewise Guide to Landscape and Construction
- Recommended Precautions for Water and Food Affected by Fire Retardants
- Bowen Island Municipality Emergency Management Plan, April, 2007
- Bowen Island Municipality Emergency Information Response Plan, April, 2007
BIM Emergency Management Plan Resource Documents:
Last Updated on 2019-09-26 at 2:28 PM
Contact the Fire Department
Derek Dickson, Fire Chief
Fire Hall # 1, Non-Emergency