Freedom of Information Requests
Bowen Island Municipality is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act), as are all local Governments. The Act ensures that public bodies are accountable and open to the public. This is accomplished through a balance of the public's right to "Freedom of Information" and "Protection of Privacy".
1. Freedom of Information- To make public bodies more open and accountable by providing the public with a legislated right of access to Government records.
2. Protection of Privacy- To protect your right to privacy by prohibiting the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by public bodies.
- Is applicable to all records in the custody of the local government, subject to exceptions provided for in the Act.
- Does not replace other procedures for access to information, or limit in any way access to information that is not personal and is available to the public.
- Allows the public to request copies of government records and receive them in a timely manner.
How to make a Freedom of Information Request
Most information is available without a formal request for access to records. We encourage you to contact the appropriate departments directly in order to ascertain if the information you seek is readily available.
A written formal request is only necessary if the information you seek are not routinely or readily available to the public. You may make your request in writing to the FOI Coordinator via e-mail, fax, mail or hand-delivered.
Email requests must be followed by a signed letter in order for the FOI Coordinator to initiate the Freedom of Information request process. Please make your request as specific and concise as possible.
We will process your request as quickly as possible and within the 30 business day time frame specified in the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If the record is an old one, or involves significant staff time, the Municipality may require a time extension of an additional 30 days.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner is responsible for monitoring how the Act is administered by the public bodies. The Commissioner's office has the power to investigate , mediate and resolve appeals concerning access to information disputes.
Please click here to view the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for more information.
Deputy Corporate Officer
Bowen Island Municipality
Last Updated on 2018-11-05 at 11:44 AM