Freedom of Information Requests
Bowen Island Municipality is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act), as are all local Governments. The Act ensures that public bodies are accountable and open to the public. This is accomplished through a balance of the public's right to "Freedom of Information" and "Protection of Privacy".
- Freedom of Information: to make public bodies more open and accountable by providing the public with a legislated right of access to Government records.
- Protection of Privacy: to protect your right to privacy by prohibiting the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by public bodies.
- Is applicable to all records in the custody of the local government, subject to exceptions provided for in the Act.
- Does not replace other procedures for access to information, or limit in any way access to information that is not personal and is available to the public.
- Allows the public to request copies of government records and receive them in a timely manner.
- Please read the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for more information.
Most information is routinely available without a formal request. We encourage you to contact the appropriate departments directly in order to ascertain if the information you seek is readily available.
How to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) Request
A written request for access to records is necessary if the information you seek is not routinely or readily available to the public.
1. Complete the Request for Access to Records form
- keep your request simple and specific to reduce processing time
- make sure to sign your form
- return your form to the Corporate Officer by e-mail, mail, fax or in person
Please note: if you are requesting access to another person’s personal information without their advanced consent, Bowen Island Municipality is required to give notice to that person if records are to be disclosed.
2. We acknowledge and review your request
- we will acknowledge your request within 2 business days
- we will review your request, making sure that your request is for information that is in the custody of Bowen Island Municipality, and not some other public body
- we may contact you to clarify your request
- we will let you know when you can expect to have your request fulfilled. The Act requires us to provide a response within 30 business days of receiving it. If your request is complex, we may extend this time up to an additional 30 business days.
3. We gather the information
- department staff assigned to your request search for and gather all the records related to your request, and send them to the FOI coordinator
4. We review the information for privacy concerns
- we review the records and redact or refuse access to any information where disclosure would be an invasion of privacy or cause harm by one of the means listed in the Act
5. We send you the information
- we prepare our final response package with your requested information and send it it you
Questions? Please contact:
Bowen Island Municipality
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner is responsible for monitoring how the Act is administered by public bodies. The Commissioner's office has the power to investigate , mediate and resolve appeals concerning access to information disputes.
Last Updated on 2018-12-21 at 3:14 PM