Premier John Horgan announced on June 24, 2020 that BC is ready to move into Phase 3 of the provincial Restart Plan. Bowen Island Municipality will continue to follow the Province’s coordinated response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Phase 3, people can take part in smart, safe and respectful travel throughout British Columbia. On Bowen Island, this means we will be seeing our summer residents return and something resembling our summer tourist season. The province has asked people planning travel to smaller communities to plan ahead by contacting the local tourism office for local information. Our partners at Tourism Bowen Island will play a key role in welcoming back visitors and helping to remind them of COVID-19 safety protocols. The Visitor Information Centre is opening on Saturday, June 27th and will be open daily during the summer.
Bowen Island Municipality has connected with local accommodation providers to share provincial guidelines, and to express our support for their safe re-opening this summer.
Like other activities during our COVID-19 pandemic, summer holidays and travel will be different this year. We must remain diligent in practicing the foundational safety measures that have gotten us this far:
- If you are sick, stay home. No exceptions.
- If you are returning from travel outside of Canada, you must self-isolate (stay home) for 14 days.
- Keep your social bubble small. Be mindful of those in your bubble who may be at higher risk of serious illness.
- Physical distancing: stay at least 2 m or six feet away from anyone outside of your bubble.
- Good hygiene: Wash hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing (such as coughing into your elbow or using a tissue); avoid touching your face; keep spaces clean.
- Consider wearing a non-medical mask in spaces where physical distance cannot be maintained.
- If you think you have symptoms, self-isolate immediately. Call 8-1-1 or use this online tool for an assessment, and follow the advice on what to do.
It is our strong expectation that everyone, including visitors from other communities, will continue to follow these measures, doing our part to keep transmission of COVID-19 low and slow.
We would like to thank our summer residents who have been doing their part to flatten BC's curve and protect our community by staying in their primary residence during Phases 1 and 2. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Bowen homes this summer.
We would also like to thank our year-round residents who have been so diligent in taking preventative measures to keep our community safe and for supporting our local businesses through these difficult past months.
Bowen Island Municipality is committed to supporting our local business community as we advance through a careful economic recovery. We encourage you to look at the supports being offered by the Federal and Provincial Governments, as well as those being offered through the BIM Community Economic Development Committee. Feel free to contact the committee at CEDC@bimbc.ca.
We can all enjoy this summer safely. Let’s protect our province and Bowen Island by protecting each other, while showing kindness, compassion and respect.