Bowen Island Municipality’s Deputy Chief Election Officer, Hope Dallas, has declared the results of the referendum, with 64% of ballot votes cast in favour of Bowen Island Municipal Council adopting Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 477, 2019.
Adoption of the bylaw authorizes the Municipality to borrow up to $4.04 million, repayable over a period of 30 years, to build the Bowen Island Community Centre. This completes the funding formula for the $14.5 million budget, supplementing the $7.9 million Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program Grant, $1.3 million in community fundraising, and $1.2 million in Municipal reserves.
“We are thrilled with the result of the referendum, and look forward to taking the next steps toward breaking ground on this important project.” said Mayor Gary Ander, “Thank you, Bowen Island, for coming together to make this happen.”
Information about the next steps in the project will follow in the coming months. To keep up-to-date on the Community Centre project, please subscribe to our mailing list.
- A total of 1500 ballots were cast. 965 voted “Yes” and 534 voted “No”.
- 216 ballots were cast by mail.
- 258 ballots were cast on advanced voting day.
- 1026 ballots were cast on general voting day.
- The voter turnout was 46% of 3270 registered voters, which included resident and non-resident property electors.