March 25, 2020 Guidance for construction sites and building projects during COVID-19
Bowen Island Municipality has communicated to BIM Business Licence holders and building contractors to share provincial guidance for construction sites and building projects operating during COVID-19.
The B.C. government and Dr. Bonnie Henry, Provincial Health Officer, are taking unprecedented measures to slow the transmission of COVID-19.
Recently, Dr. Henry issued an order under the Public Health Act prohibiting the gathering of people in excess of 50 people at a place of which a person is the owner, occupier or operator, or for which they are otherwise responsible.
While this order does not specifically mention construction sites, the Provincial Health Officer is directing employers to take all necessary precautions to minimize the risks of COVID-19 transmission and illness to themselves and their employees. This includes:
- There should be no more than 50 people in the same space in any circumstances.
- Where possible, employees should maintain a distance of two metres apart from each other.
- Post signage that limits the number of occupants in any enclosed space such as work vehicles.
- Reduce in-person meetings and other gatherings and hold site meetings in open spaces or outside.
- Increase the number of handwashing stations and post signage that identifies their location.
- Maintain a list of employees that are currently working on sites and update this list daily.
- All common areas and surfaces should be cleaned at the end of each day. Examples include washrooms, work vehicles, tools, machinery.
- Anyone with COVID-19-like symptoms, such as sore throat, fever, sneezing or coughing, must self-isolate at home for 14 days.
Section 4.85 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation does provide for a minimum standard around the provision of washrooms and hand washing facilities. Where plumbed facilities are impracticable, employers must provide access to portable washroom and hand-washing facilities. Those facilities must be maintained in good working order and must be provided with the supplies necessary for their use.
Employers should reassess their work environment every day and keep updated with the information posted on the Province’s website: www.gov.bc.ca/COVID19
We trust that you will find this information helpful in ensuring the safety of your work site on Bowen Island. Everyone must do their part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.