Bowen Waste Solutions (BWS) is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and is taking the necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our staff, residents and community. Recently, in consultation with Bowen Island Municipality and guided by the BC Centre for Disease Control and the Public Health Agency of Canada, BIRD was closed to the public in order to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Additional protocols are now called for and BWS would like to publish these guidelines for the public.
BWS crews are working diligently to continue with the essential service of garbage and food/green waste collection, while experiencing an increase in volumes of curb side containers, likely due to people staying home.
BWS staff are currently working under social distancing protocols, resulting in reduced employees per vehicle, where applicable.
Please help protect the health and safety of our collection crews by following these guidelines during these exceptional times.
The collection schedule will continue as posted with the following precautions:
- All garbage must be bagged, securely tied and placed in a curb side receptacle. Loose garbage will not be collected.
- No loose waste: All tissues, and toilet paper soiled with human fluids or disinfectants/cleaner must be placed in sealed and securely tied garbage bags. All disposable wipes are garbage, NOT recycling or organic waste.
- Please adhere to curb side limits – 1 can per household, 2 cans with 2nd can decal.
- Container should weigh no more than 40lbs.
- No extra single-use garbage decals are available during the pandemic. Bowen Waste is operating with reduced staffing and cannot sustainably manage an increase in waste that decals allow for.
- Bowen Waste is still accepting commercial recycling – all commercial accounts are aware of how to recycle during this time.
BWS is experiencing exceptionally high volumes of curb side yard waste, likely due to people staying home and doing yardwork. We are working with reduced staffing due to social distancing requirements.
The collection schedule will continue as posted with the following restrictions:
- A household limit of 3 curb-side items that may include food waste, bags, cans, or bundles.
For further info or inquires, please contact Bowen Waste Solutions at 604-947-2255 or firstname.lastname@example.org