An assessment roll for the purpose of levying 2021 parcel taxes to recover debt servicing costs associated with the construction of the Cove Bay Water Treatment Plant has been prepared for the Parcel Tax Roll Review and Authentication process. As part of the legislative requirements under the Community Charter, notice is hereby given that the parcel tax roll for the following services is available for review:
- Cove Bay Local Service Area (Municipal Finance Authority Debt Repayment): Parcel Tax Bylaw 548, 2021 (See staff report below)
- Cove Bay Local Service Area (General Fund Debt Repayment): Parcel Tax Bylaw 549, 2021 (See staff report below)
The parcel tax will be based on taxable area, with taxable area defined as the number of units on a parcel. For parcels with less than four units, the taxable area is assumed to be one.
The Parcel Tax Review Panel will meet on Monday May 10, at 9:00 am via Zoom to consider any complaints about the roll and to authenticate it.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 955 7147 9941
The Parcel Tax Assessment Roll may be inspected at:
- Bowen Island Municipal Hall, 981 Artisan Lane, Bowen Island, BC, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30 pm; OR
- Upon request, via email from firstname.lastname@example.org
Property owners may request a correction to the roll only in respect to their own property and only for the following reasons:
- There is an error or omission respecting a name or address on the assessment roll;
- There is an error or omission respecting the inclusion of a parcel
- There is an error or omission respecting the inclusion a taxable parcel area or taxable frontage on the roll;
- An exemption from the roll has been improperly allowed or disallowed.
Requests for corrections to the roll must be in writing and will be accepted up to Monday May 10, 2021 at 12:00 pm. If written requests are received between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm on May 10, the Parcel Tax Review Panel will reconvene on May 10 to consider these requests.
Wirtten requests can be made:
By Fax To: Bowen Island Municipality
Mail: Bowen Island Municipality
981 Artisan Lane, Bowen Island, BC, V0N 1G2
From the proposed bylaw:
|Parcel or Property Type||Parcel Tax
General Fund Debt
|Residential - less than four units||$129.28||$141.99||$271.27|
|Residential - four units or more||$129.98 x No.of Units||$141.99 x No. of Units||$287.74 x No. of Units|
Why do we need a parcel tax?
The parcel tax has been introduced to help service debt associated with the construction of the Cove Bay Water Treatement Plant.
Is it a one time payment?
It will not be a one time charge.
The debt itself is split into two parts:
- MFA (Municipal Finance Authority) debt – over 30 years. Properties included on the roll will have this parcel tax on their tax notices for thirty years, see the table above.
- Internal Debt from General Fund (Land Opportunity Fund) – over 10 years. Properties included on the roll will have this parcel tax on their tax notices for ten years, see the table above.
Why is it included in property taxes?
It has been brought forward as a parcel tax to allow homeowners who defer their taxes to defer the charge with the rest of their property taxes.
An increase to water user rates is usually only brought forward by Municipalities for operational expense increases and not always suitable to fund debt for capital projects such as our Water Treatment Plant for Cove Bay.