Bowen Island Municipality is seeking expressions of interest from consultants/project managers to complete a Housing Needs Report for the municipality. The Housing Needs Report will assess key housing needs including the need for affordable housing, rental housing and homes for seniors, people with special needs, families and people at risk of homelessness. It will also help inform decisions to develop future housing policies and developments, address workforce housing to help employers retain employees and support local economic growth.
Bowen Island recently received a grant through the 2019 Housing Needs Report program, a partnership between the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) and the Province of BC. In addition to meeting the municipality's needs, the Consultant/Project Manager will be tasked with the development and writing of a Housing Needs Report for Bowen Island to satisfy the Provincial Government’s legislative requirement to local governments to collect data, analyze trends and develop a report on current and anticipated housing needs.
- A Community Profile outlining demographics and housing context
- Community Engagement with key stakeholders and vulnerable populations
- A Housing Needs Report for Bowen Island, meeting the requirements of the Provincial Government and containing a housing gap analysis and recommendations
- Presentation to Bowen Island Council of the final report
The project will go through four phases as outlined below.
- Phase 1: Community Profiles and Affordability Analysis; will involve undertaking background research to create a community profile outlining demographics and housing context. This Phase will also involve researching current affordable housing needs and supply as well as emerging housing needs and demands. It is anticipated that this phase will involve compiling relevant data from the Housing Needs Report Data Catalogue provided by the Provincial Government and will meet the required content for Housing Needs Report.
- Phase 2: Community Engagement; will include a series of focus group meetings with key stakeholders (up to 4), and confidential interviews with vulnerable populations (up to 5). The community input will then be summarized in a preliminary report to inform the report.
- Phase 3 will begin with preparing a housing gap analysis and writing the Housing Needs Report, as well as preparing an excel template for future data input by staff of the municipality.
- Phase 4 will focus on report publication and dissemination. This will include a presentation to Bowen Island Council, publication of the report, a public information session, and dissemination through the Municipal communications channels (website, press release, email bulletin, etc).
- Ability to complete the work Fall and Winter 2019
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data to report back to Project leads and assist in informing sound recommendations
- Successful experience with similar projects
- Project management expertise (e.g., prioritizing, scheduling groups, able to work within a budget and a timeline)
How to apply:
Please send your cover letter and resume to:
Manager of Planning and Development
Bowen Island Municipality
981 Artisan Lane
Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2
The contract must be completed by February 2020.
September 20, 2019 at 4:30 pm. Applications will be reviewed by BIM staff and project leads. Interviews will occur in September. Only those incumbents short listed for an interview will be contacted. References may be requested at a later date.