This summer, TransLink is testing the future of Transit On-Demand services right here on Bowen Island. From July 15 to September 15, two shuttle buses wrapped in white with colourful circles will operate on Bowen to provide app-based Transit On-Demand service, including real-time bus tracking, extended service hours and expanded coverage.
These shuttles will add to the existing bus service, not replace it. The 280, 281 and 282 bus routes will not be affected and will continue to provide regular transit service.
The On-Demand shuttles will run on weekday evenings and weekends, as follows:
- Weekday Evenings: Pick-up from Snug Cove between 4:30 pm and 9:30 pm; drop-offs anywhere within the service zone.
- Weekends: Pick-up and drop-offs between 10:00 am and 5:30 pm, anywhere within the service zone.
Booking a Transit On-Demand trip is easy! Here’s how:
- Ensure your smartphone is connected to the internet through a cellular or Wi-Fi connection.
- Download the TapRide app from the App Store or Google Play and select system: Bowen Island (TransLink).
- Create an account.
- Drop a pin to set your pick-up and drop-off locations, and submit your trip.
- Wait at the pick-up location and look out for a white shuttle bus.
- On-Demand buses will wait a maximum of three minutes at the requested pick-up location on the weekend.
- Board the bus and pay your regular Transit fare (using Compass Card, credit card or cash).
Please don’t try to wave down an On-Demand shuttle. As part of the pilot program, these shuttles only stop for pre-designated trips, booked via the TapRide app.
What are the benefits of Transit On-Demand?
Pilot participants can take advantage of Transit On-Demand benefits, including:
- Booking transit journeys through a smartphone app;
- Increased reliability through tracking On-Demand buses in real-time;
- Extended service hours on weekday evenings;
- Expanded service coverage, including Cowan’s Point and Cates Hill; and
- Download the TapRide app and register for an account to be entered to win a $200 gift certificate to a Bowen Island restaurant*
Don’t have a smartphone?
- Book a ride using a desktop web browser at www.translink.ca/bowen or by calling (778)571-0548.
- Dispatchers are available during operating hours to assist you with requesting a ride over the phone.
- For more information, visit www.translink.ca/bowen.
- For immediate assistance with the TapRide system, call customer support at (778) 571-0548.
- For in-person support, visit the Bowen Island Public Library on Saturdays between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. during the pilot period.
- For pilot project-related inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bowen Island Service Area Map
- Frequently Asked Questions
- TapRide Terms and Conditions
- Transit On-Demand Contest Terms and Conditions
Last Updated on 2019-07-25 at 2:03 PM