Tunstall Bay Water System Local Advisory Committee
Tunstall Bay Reservoir Tank
Determination of Petition Against
The results of the Petition Against process have been determined.
As required under the Community Charter, for a local area service on Council initiative, subject to petition against, to be certified as sufficient and valid,
- The petition against must be signed by the owners of at least 50% of the parcels that are subject to the local service tax; AND
- The persons signing must be owners of the parcels that in total represent at least 50% of the assessed value of land and improvements that would be subject to the local service tax.
Number of petition against forms submitted: 43
Number of parcels subject to the local service tax: 144
Assessed value of parcels with petition against forms submitted: $37,822,300.00
Assessed value of parcels subject to the local service tax: $134,423,900.00
Read the full determination results HERE.
Community Information Meeting
A community information meeting was held on Monday, November 29 to talk about the financing plan for the water reservoir tank. Watch the video
- More on community meeting here: Information Meeting Agenda Package.
- View the video of the September meeting (and see minutes here).
- Frequently Asked Questions on the reservoir tank here: FAQs.
Notice of Intent
Please see Notice of Intent to borrow $655,530 from the MFA with a 5-year maximum repayment term to fund this capital improvement here.
The Tunstall Bay Water System Local Advisory Committee has been advocating for purchase and installation of a new water reservoir tank for the district for many years. Minutes from Tunstall Bay WS LAC meetings dating back to 2004 can be found here. Below are some documents regarding the most recent phase of these discussions:
- On September 10, 2019, in an open meeting, the LAC recommended that Council direct staff to plan for design and investigate funding for a new reservoir tank (link to minutes)
- On January 13, 2020, in an open meeting, Council received those recommendations along with several others from the island's seven water districts and directed staff to develop a work plan and budget (link to Council minutes excerpt)
- On February 12, 2021, Urban Systems provided a Tunstall Bay Water Systems Improvements Report recommending installation of a new water reservoir tank (link to report)
- On February 22, 2021, in an open meeting, the LAC recommended that Council direct staff to install a new reservoir tank (link to minutes)
- .On March 22, 2021, in an open meeting, Council received that recommendation and directed staff to install a new reservoir tank (link to Council minutes excerpt)
- Invitation to Tender dated August 17, 2021 (Tunstall Bay Reservoir Upgrades)
- On September 9, 2021, in an open meeting, BIM Staff held an LAC meeting to advise of next steps, receive feedback regarding funding options, and notify that BIM would be going to tender for the project. Members of the public were actively encouraged to attend and in addition to LAC members, five residents participated in discussion (link to minutes and link to video).
- On November 2, 2021 a Notice of Intent to borrow the funds to pay for a new reservoir tank for Tunstall Bay was posted on the website and sent to all Tunstall Bay residents in a mail out.
Purpose of the Committee
The Tunstall Bay Water System Local Advisory Committee has advisory powers to Council regarding water system issues, and also reviews the operating and capital budgets for the utility.
- Gerry Sear, Chair
- Stefanie Jones
- Peter Rankin
- Councillor Alison Morse, Council Liaison
Subscribe to receive updates about the Tunstall Bay Water System.
Last Updated on 2021-12-21 at 1:22 PM