Development Approvals

Are you a Bowen Island property owner, prospective buyer, or developer?  What are the steps to maintain and develop property here?

Property Basics

As a property owner you are responsible for paying annual property taxes, which help to fund services like road maintenance and garbage collection.  You are also responsible for maintaining your driveway culverts and ensuring drainage from your property does not negatively impact neighbours.

The Development Process

Additional Considerations

If your property is considered a heritage site, your development may need to follow certain guidelines and the proposal may be referred to the Heritage Commission.

A number of maps may be helpful in the planning of your development proposal, including the zoning map and utilities map. 

What is Development?

Development may include subdivision, site preparation, building, or even tree removal.  A number of approvals or permits may be required to ensure that development is done responsibly.  Common required approvals include:

  • Subdivision Approval
  • Development Permit
  • Development Variance Permit
  • Moorage Approval

Subdivision Approval

If you want to create additional lots or change the boundaries of your property you will need to apply for a subdivision.  Subdivisions must comply with the Official Community Plan and the Land Use Bylaw.

Apply for a Subdivision

Lot Consolidation

If you want to amalgamate two or more properties, you will need to apply to the British Columbia Land Title Office.

Development Permit

Development Permit Areas (DPA) are designated on Bowen Island to protect the natural environment, help revitalize commercial areas, or establish form and character of development.  If your proposed development is within a DPA, you must obtain a Development Permit (DP) before commencing any work.

Development Permit Areas

Apply for a Development Permit

Development Variance Permit

If your lot has unique features or circumstances that makes it hard to meet the Land Use Bylaw requirements, you may choose to apply to Council for a Development Variance Permit (DVP).  Permitted uses and density cannot be varied by a DVP. A rezoning application would be required to vary permitted uses or density.

Apply for a Development Variance Permit

Covenant Amendment

An application form and fee is required if the development requires a covenant amendment.

Moorage Approval

Moorage proposals must comply with the Land Use Bylaw and require a Building Permit to build, extend, improve, or replace a private/group moorage facility (i.e. a dock, float, gangway, pier, boat lift). Building Permit applications must be accompanied by foreshore tenure (usually a Specific Permission) issued by the Province of British Columbia.

Apply for a Moorage Facility

Last Updated on 2020-01-13 at 10:15 AM